vtrelocs: large/modular C++ app speedup ...
Ian Lance Taylor
Wed Apr 2 14:57:00 GMT 2008
Michael Meeks <email@example.com> writes:
> Since almost all function relocations of this type are inside vtables,
> I implemented a new way of relocating vtables. This is a new
> '.suse.vtrelocs' section.
It's an interesting idea. Some comments:
* Use GNU instead of SUSE, as this is for the GNU tools.
* Don't check for explicit section names. Instead, give the section a
* It seems that this is not backward compatible--an executable built
in this way will not work if the dynamic linker does not know about
it. The section should have the SHF_OS_NONCONFORMING bit set.
* Aren't you going to get a lot of duplicate vtreloc entries?
Shouldn't they be grouped with the vtables themselves?
* The idea is useless without support in the dynamic linker, so you
need to get signoff there first.
More information about the Binutils