R: Improvements in binutils by implementing libaddr2line.a

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Sep 7 14:08:00 GMT 2007

Hi Massimo,

   [Please keep the CC to the binutils mailing list.  Discussions like this
should be held on the public list].

> I don't know how to obtain an FSF copyright assignment from FSF.

I have attached a form to this reply which you can use to start the application
process, should you choose to do so.

> But anyway I did only a few modifications on the addr2line.c file and the
> part I have added/modified has been copied from gnaddr2line.c files found in
> http://www.filewatcher.com/p/binutils-2.15.90-20040222-1-src.tar.gz.14182109
> /binutils-2.15.90-20040222-1/binutils/gnaddr2line.c.html

Hmm, unfortunately there does not appear to be any description of who made
these changes to addr2line.c or why.

> But I agree with you that it is more flexible to insert it in bfd. In this
> manner there isn't one more library and it is strictly correlated with bfd
> library. I think that the procedure will be useful also for all the program
> using execinfo.h.

True, but honestly I do not see what benefit this proposed library function
would have over the already existing bfd_find_nearest_line() function.  The
only thing that the translate_address() and convert_address() functions add is
the ability to process more than one address at a time, and that is easily
handled by a simple loop in the caller of bfd_find_nearest_line.

Really is there any benefit to having the proposed convert_address() function
in the bfd library ?  I am attaching a version of the prova_bt.c program that
you supplied but edited to use bfd_find_nearest_line instead of
convert_address.  The results are pretty much the same in my opinion.