PATCH: Remove memory check on SVME instructions

Jan Beulich jbeulich@novell.com
Thu Sep 6 16:37:00 GMT 2007

>>> "H.J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> 09/06/07 8:01 AM >>>
>They didn't do it for a good reason. In x86 assembly, memory operand
>is specified as base + index*scale + offset. If an operand can't be

That's not true (and I suppose you're not intending to teach me x86
assembly). Even the base 8086 opcode set already had exceptions to
that - opcodes 0xA0...0xA3. Following your argumentation, these would
have to have an immediate operand, which they don't. If I wanted to be
picky, I could also include all the string instructions here, including xlat.

>expressed that way, it isn't a memory operand.  It is different from
>memory operand in high level language.  SVME instructions do take
>memory address in C and C++.

Jan