compile failure due to undefined symbol

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m@gmx.net
Wed Oct 3 11:06:00 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:

Hi Nick,

[snip]
> > But I was able to use it as the basis for a patch which did work.  Would you
> > like to try it out and see what you think ?  (The patch is attached, but I have
> > not included the regenerated files.  I assume that you are OK to recreate them
> > yourself).  I chose to use -rpath rather than -rpath-link and then to
> > explicitly link into the shared bfd library rather than using the library
> > location mechanism as this appeared to do the right thing.

Works for me too with 2.18 for i686-*-linux-gnu/ and 2.17 for
mipsel-*-linux-uclibc (adapted).

Is -Wl,-z,defs supported everywhere?

> I assume you checked that using -rpath has really the correct
> RPATH/RUNPATH in opcodes/.libs/libopcodes.so and in the finally installed
> one in --libdir or whatever.

I checked, there is no hardcoded RUNPATH/RPATH in the intermediate/final
shared libraries, so that should be fine

> Wondering if SHARED_DEPENDENCIES should be bfd/libbfd.la, that is for sure
> a target in the Makefiles and implies the creation of the needed
> libbfd.so, meaning also that the bfd directory is "finalized", I am
> sure about bfd/.libs/libbfd.so being a good target.

I have used SHARED_DEPENDENCIES pointing to `pwd`/../bfd/libbfd.la

Peter