RFC: Allow the suppression of expensive linker and gas tests

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 09:08:00 GMT 2007

Hi Guys,

 > Alan Modra wrote:

> I'll admit to having this one commented out in my local trees.  How
> about we remove the irpc loops at the end, presumably there to test
> that memory is reclaimed?
>
> a) It doesn't make sense to invoke a little used feature of the gas
> macro processor almost half a million times.
> b) We are unlikely to regress this feature.
> c) "Out of memory" might not occur on a large system even if macro
> memory was not reclaimed.

Well that certainly makes sense to me.

I agree with Ben that my original idea was wrong, and that the expensive tests
should not be suppressed just because they take a long time to complete, so I
will not be applying that patch, but I do think that Alan's idea would be very
helpful to me as well.