PATCH: put .sdata2/.sbss2 into the writable segment on vxworks ppc

Tristan Gingold gingold@adacore.com
Wed Nov 7 14:50:00 GMT 2007


Hi Nathan and Daniel,

are you currently off ?  I'd like to read your patch (and see it in  
the FSF tree).

Tristan.

On Oct 24, 2007, at 4:23 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 06:13:00PM +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on VxWorks 6 (for powerpc) all the .sdata2 sections of the library  
>> are flagged
>> RW.
>> Therefore during the final link (in RTP mode) the corresponding  
>> segment must be
>> RW.
>> Currently these sections are always put into the RX segment by the  
>> linker
>> script.  As a consequence
>> this segment becomes RWX which is unfortunate.
>>
>> This patch fixes this issue by adding a new variable:  
>> WRITABLE_SDATA2.
>
> (FYI, CodeSourcery builds the official VxWorks toolchains.  We're
> sometimes very good at keeping the FSF tree up to date, and sometimes
> a bit behind...)
>
> I know I've seen this problem before.  I don't remember the exact
> details, but I believe there was a bit more wrong here dealing with
> the VxWorks loader's restrictions on the number of segments in
> executables.
>
> Nathan, there's a more complete patch with your name on it from
> 2007-07-24; think you could post it and the followup?
>
> -- 
> Daniel Jacobowitz
> CodeSourcery
>



More information about the Binutils mailing list