RFC: Adding a check to the top level configure script for a binary-mounted cygwin-hosted build directory

Paolo Bonzini paolo.bonzini@lu.unisi.ch
Wed May 23 13:04:00 GMT 2007

Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Paolo, Hi Alex,
>
>   May I ask for your advice on a configure script matter ?
>
>   The Binutils bug PR 4334 has pointed out the problems of trying to
>   build a toolchain under Cygwin with a build directory mounted in
>   text mode.  So, I think that it is agreed that toolchains should
>   only be built on bin-mounted drives and I would like the configure
>   script to make sure that this happens.
>
>   I am attaching a provisional patch which I think will do what I
>   want, but I would like to get your comments it.  I tested the
>   patch under both Cygwin and Linux, and it does not appear to
>   introduce any new problems, so I am reasonably confident that it
>   works.  But I am not at all sure that I have used the best approach
>   to the problem.  Your comments ?

I haven't looked at the patch yet, but as an aside, I think this should
also go into the main autoconf distribution; there is no reason why
somebody should build under a text-mode mounted directory.

Paolo