Always include elf.lo?

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Mon May 21 19:47:00 GMT 2007


On 5/21/07, Pedro Alves <pedro_alves@portugalmail.pt> wrote:
> Nick Clifton wrote:
> >> Does anyone object to always compiling elf.lo for BFD, regardless of
> >> the target?  I haven't tried it, but looking at the tangled
> >> dependencies I think this will mean all of $elf too.
> >
> > This does seem to be overkill.   Unless there is a good reason why GDB
> > cannot be modified I would prefer not bloat the non-ELF versions of the
> > BFD library in this way.
>
> Isn't bfd normally used as a static lib?  If so, then only gdb
> would suffer the extra "bloat", which is needed anyway.
> Perhaps the only real bad effect would added build time.

i guess you're implying that the option "--enable-shared" is
discouraged and effectively not supported ?
-mike



More information about the Binutils mailing list