[PATCH] ld/ldlang.c: fatal error on architecture mismatch
Ian Lance Taylor
iant@google.com
Tue May 1 17:38:00 GMT 2007
Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 09:51:18AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> >
> > > > While we're on the subject of errors, it bugs me that the linker warns
> > > > and auto-selects an address if you don't provide _start or specify an
> > > > entry point. How do you feel about making that fatal?
> > >
> > > It might impact the testsuite. Otherwise I'm OK with the idea.
> >
> > This would be a bad idea as it would break a number of embedded
> > builds. Embedded systems generally ignore the entry address anyhow.
>
> It's for embedded builds that I want it. The other thing it's
> likely to mean is "you forgot to link with a suitable crt0",
> especially where you have more than one sensible option so the
> compiler can't do it by default.
>
> Would it really be so bad to make people specify where execution starts?
Fair enough, I'll rephrase. The change would break a number of
embedded builds. Whether that is a bad idea or not, I don't know.
Ian
More information about the Binutils
mailing list