SVN for src (was Re: Binutils 2.18 prep)

Andrew STUBBS andrew.stubbs@st.com
Thu Mar 22 14:20:00 GMT 2007

Paul Brook wrote:
>> We create an Subversion directory containing all the top-level files
>> (configure etc.), but with all the subdirectories (gas, gdb etc.)
>> present but *empty*. We then provide a script that does 'svn switch' on
>> each directory required for a given 'module'. This is the inverse of the
>> svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/emptydir idea (see
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SvnSetup "Optimize disk usage").
>
> How does this work with branches and tagging? Do we have to manually (or using
> a script) branch+tag every subdirectory?

If you branch/tag the whole trunk then there's no problem.

E.g.

tags/
   2.18/
     src/
     modules/
trunk/
   src/
   modules/

Of course, the script to do the switching has to be able to detect what
branch to use. However, the most portable approach would be to look for
the modules relative to the URL obtained using 'svn info'. That would
work even when the URL changes or the repository is mirrored.

Andrew