objdump error, says file format not recognized.

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 11:14:00 GMT 2007

Hi Sneha,

> My target is an ia64 architecture and the host is i686 gnu linux ...
> the objdump is not recognzing the file format i.e. ELF64 ..
> I am using binutils-2.17.
> Where all should the changes be made to make atleast objdump work ..

Have a look at the function "elfNN_ia64_object_p" in bfd/elfxx-ia64.c.
It is this function (once translated into elf64_ia64_object_p via the
build process) that is supposed to be able to detect ELF64 format IA64
binary files.