Coding Style

Paul Brook paul@codesourcery.com
Mon Mar 19 14:55:00 GMT 2007

> It's not immediately obvious in the README and MAINTAINERS documents
> what the preferred coding style is. However etc/standards.info contains
> the GNU style guide. Is this is correct assumption?

Yes.

> Will there be any objection to adding an emacs local variable tag at the
> end of any files I touch?

I object. If we add magic markers for one editor we should add them
consistently, and for all common editors. This means accumulating a couple a
pages or so of crud on the start/end of each file. There are other ways to
make your editor use the right settings.

> All I really care about is the default indentation level and if tabs or
> whitespace is required.

indentation 2 spaces. Tabs 8 spaces.  Hard tabs should be used.
Most of the code is formatted correctly, so following existing style is
generally a fairly good bet.

Paul