new library handling in binutils causes trouble with --enable-shared

Bernd Jendrissek bernd.jendrissek@gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 17:36:00 GMT 2007

On 7/25/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2007, Bernd Jendrissek wrote:
> > That looks like libtool magic where build/binutils/objdump is really a
> > shell script that sets up LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then runs
> > build/binutils/.libs/objdump (the uninstalled binary).
>
> normally, yes, this logic would be confined to the libtool wrapper script
> which would setup the env and then execute the real binary in .libs/ ... but
> i'm not looking at the binaries as the infected build env prevents them from
> even being generated yet.

Eek, I hadn't thought of all that legacy build infrastructure.

> > Your use of passive voice ("will be set") confuses me... where is
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH getting set other than in the libtool wrapper scripts?
>
> read the top level Makefile and you will see that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is exported
> at the make level (plonk!).

Yes, very eek.  Thanks for the warning; I use --enable-shared
--disable-static all the time; I just haven't updated from CVS
recently.  I'll watch out when I do.