new library handling in binutils causes trouble with --enable-shared

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Wed Jul 25 16:33:00 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 25 July 2007, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > about the only use i can think of for these LD_LIBRARY_PATHs is when you
> > go to run `make check`, so perhaps the setting of this variable should be
> > restricted to that case ?
>
>  Hmm, I have not checked the Makefiles, but if LD_LIBRARY_PATH has to be
> set during a build to access newly-built uninstalled libraries, then I am
> fairly sure `libtool --mode=execute' should be used instead.  I presume
> this is a piece of legacy setup, like quite a lot of bits scattered
> through Makefiles,

not sure which legacy pulled this in, but the code didnt exist in older
binutils ... it got merged as part of the recent libtool update i believe.

see RPATH_ENVVAR usage in configure and toplevel Makefiles.

> but since we have got libtool in place now, why not
> actually make use of it?

i'm certainly all for this :)
-mike