Switching GAS to GPLv3

Bernd Jendrissek bernd.jendrissek@gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:29:00 GMT 2007


Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> In my understanding everybody who submits patches to binutils must have
> a copyright assignment to the FSF on file (unless patches are considered
> trivial).
>
> I am I wrong in presuming that a patch contributed under a copyright
> assignment can be implied to cover GPLv2 and GPLv3?
>
> In other words, if I's submit a patch against a GPLv3'd version of a
> package I'd implicitly assume my patch also to be applicable to a
> GPLv2'd version of the package.

My assignment (which I have not yet returned - bad me!) includes:
"d) FSF agrees to grant back to Developer, and does hereby grant,
non-exclusive, royalty-free and non-cancellable rights to use the
Works (i.e., Developer's changes and/or enhancements, not the Program
that they enhance), as Developer sees fit; this grant back does not
limit FSF's rights and public rights acquired through this agreement."

The answer to your question, AFAICT, hinges on whether your patch is a
derived work or not (surely it is, otherwise an Evil Empire can do
diff -N -u10000 /src/binutils /emptydir >/tmp/proprietary.diff???) and
if so, what the licence of the derived-from work is.

But if you download a GPLv2 tarball before August and run diff between
it and your subsequent modified copy, then I reckon you can do
whatever you want with that patch, as long as you obey the GPLv2 (due
to the tarball's pre-August licence).  You just can't sue anyone for
what they do with your patch, because only the FSF has the right to do
so.

Then again, IANAL.



More information about the Binutils mailing list