Changing top level files and include/ files over to GPLv3

Geoffrey Keating geoffk@apple.com
Thu Jul 12 11:30:00 GMT 2007

On 12/07/2007, at 3:14 AM, Nick Clifton wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
>> I presume this will include files licensed with an exception,
>
> I had intended to files with license exceptions, but that has now
> changed.  The GCC Steering Committee has decided to leave such
> files alone (for now), so I will not change them.

It would be helpful to post the wording that is being considered.

>> like include/demangle.h.
>
> I was not aware that this file had an exception.  Looking at its
> copyright header I do not see the exception listed.  Can you tell
> me where I can find it ?

My copy of include/demangle.h was last changed in April by revision
124174 and reads:

/* Defs for interface to demanglers.
    Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001,
2002,
    2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License
    as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or
    (at your option) any later version.

    In addition to the permissions in the GNU Library General Public
    License, the Free Software Foundation gives you unlimited
    permission to link the compiled version of this file into
    combinations with other programs, and to distribute those
    combinations without any restriction coming from the use of this
    file.  (The Library Public License restrictions do apply in other
    respects; for example, they cover modification of the file, and
    distribution when not linked into a combined executable.)

I think your copy is out-of-date, especially if it doesn't have a
'2007' in the copyright years.