--gc-section on elf/ia64

Tristan Gingold gingold@adacore.com
Thu Jul 12 11:00:00 GMT 2007


On Jul 12, 2007, at 1:44 AM, H.J. Lu wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 04:11:56PM -0700, Jim Wilson wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 12:58 +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
>>> is there any reason why ia64-linux doesn't support --gc-section ?
>>
>> I don't recall a technical reason.  I think it is just some  
>> historical
>> reasons.  ia64-linux development was done on a private branch at the
>> same time that the --gc-section support went into the public tree, so
>> the combination was probably never tested.  There is a general  
>> lack of
>> people with time and interest in doing ia64 work, so lots of stuff  
>> never
>> got done.  You could just try enabling the support and see what  
>> happens.
>> If you file a bug report, HJ will probably look at it.
>
> I don't remember the detail. I think it may have something to do
> with ia64 linker relaxation or function pointer.
>
> In any case, give it a try and file a bug report if it doesn't work.
> I will see what I can do.
Thanks for the info.  I will make the try ASAP (which doesn't mean now!)





More information about the Binutils mailing list