Enable 32-bit Alignment

H.J. Lu hjl@lucon.org
Thu Jul 5 00:48:00 GMT 2007


On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 04:20:29PM -0500, Menezes, Evandro wrote:
> HJ, 
> 
> > > Anyways, I wasn't able to find good information on older 
> > processors (before Ppro), so I'd rather leave them as is.  
> > 
> > The old processors should take
> > 
> > N x 66 90
> > 
> > They may not be the best, but should run fine.
> 
> On some of our 486 and 586-class embedded processors each prefix beyond 2 takes and extra cycle to decode.
> 
> Everything else seems fine at first glance (I ask my colleagues to check it further), but I'd rather keep the oldies as is.
> 

People who care about performance on those processors should pass
proper -mtune= to assembler. BTW, I don't think you will get
decent performace on those processors with default gcc optimization.
I don't want to penalize majority of current x86 processors by
default.

Maybe gcc should pass -mtune= to assembler if assembler supports it.


H.J.



More information about the Binutils mailing list