Switching GAS to GPLv3

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Jul 3 14:27:00 GMT 2007

Hi Guys,

   I am in the process of changing the GNU Binutils sources over to use
the GPLv3 and I received a question from one or the main contributors:

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> What does this mean for backporting fixes from binutils trunk to older
> binutils releases?
> Does this mean backports are not possible at all, or do we have to
> relicense our legacy releases (that we want to backport stuff to) to GPLv3?

   Can you answer this for me ?  ie  what should happen when someone
wants to apply a patch that has been contributed to a GPLv3 source file
to an old branch ?  Especially when that old branch is part of an
officially released set of sources that are covered by the GPLv2 ?

Cheers
   Nick Clifton
   GNU Binutils Chief Maintainer.