Dwarf line output from readelf -wl

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 09:32:00 GMT 2007

Hi Torleif,

> I have used readelf quite a bit, and on several occasions found that I
> would like an output of the mapping between addresses and source locations
> from .debug_line in an objectfile..

Are you aware of the addr2line tool ?  (Also part of the binutils
package).  It takes addresses and displays their corresponding file name
and source line number.

> Invoking readelf with the -wl option, I am only able to see the
> opcodes passed to the DWARF state machine and not the address<->
> source location mapping.
>
> Is this intentional?

Yes...

> Would it be better to replace the current output from -wl with the
> address<->source mapping?

No.  One of the purposes of the readelf tool is to be able to display
the ELF or DWARF information in a low level format so that it can be
debugged.  ie the tool is intended to help tracing bugs in the
generation of the ELF and DWARF information.  If the tool did not
display the DWARF opcodes it would be much harder to diagnose a problem
in their generation.

> Could a new option be added to serve this purpose?

Now this is certainly a possibility.  Would you like to volunteer to add
it ? :-)