Renaming mingw64 to mingw* for x86_64 architecure
Ben Elliston
bje@au1.ibm.com
Tue Jan 9 05:15:00 GMT 2007
On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 23:33 -0500, NightStrike wrote:
> I am confused on a point here. First, the mingw community has stated
> that the name of their platform is "mingw", not "mingw32" or
> "mingw64". From the FAQ:
That was my understanding. This is why I never accepted "mingw64" as
another mingw variant in config.guess output.
mingw32 is what config.guess has been outputting to date, so I have
config.guess emitting "x86_64-pc-mingw32" for the time being. If we are
to move from "mingw32" to "mingw", it must be done universally for all
machines and with some planning.
> "The project's name changed from mingw32 to MinGW is to prevent the
> implication that MinGW will only works on 32 bit systems (as 64 and
> higher bit machines become more common, MinGW will evolve to work with
> them)."
If the mingw folks can agree on what they want to call it, I am happy to
make the changes to config.guess. My point to Kai is just that I am not
willing to add another variant of "mingw" if the mingw project members
do not even acknowledge it.
I am very reluctant to make changes to config.guess which I know I'll
have to correct later -- these little triplets have quite a lot of
intertia. ;-)
Ben
More information about the Binutils
mailing list