RFC: designated initializer vs. long long for i386 assembler

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Wed Feb 21 01:32:00 GMT 2007

"H. J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> > >Adding another field will lead to massive changes to x86 assembler.
> > >I will use long long if C99 feature isn't desirable.
> >
> > "long long" _is_ a C99 feature.  GCC had it before of course,
> > but not all the world builds binutils using GCC ;-)
>
> long long is used by config/tc-d30v.c and config/tc-xtensa.c.

The difference is that those are only built as cross-tools.  We
decided a long time ago to permit requiring gcc when building a
cross-tool.  But as far as I know we haven't decided to permit
requiring gcc, or a C99 compiler, when building a native tool.

Ian