binary to elf conversion

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com
Thu Aug 16 14:55:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

I think something broke for converting binary
files to elf using objcopy.  I know I did this before
but can't seem to find a binutils that can do
this now.  I have tried both the RTEMS testing
version (a pre 2.18 snapshot) and our
stable repositories (something older)
and neither is able to link with the object file produced by objcopy'ing
a binary file  to a .o.

/opt/rtems-4.8/lib/gcc/powerpc-rtems4.8/4.2.1/../../../../powerpc-rtems4.8/bin/ld:
unknown architecture of input file `o-optimize/tarfile.o' is
incompatible with powerpc:common output

Produced by this command:

powerpc-rtems4.8-objcopy -I binary -O elf32-powerpc tarfile
o-optimize/tarfile.o

I tried mips and i386 and both fail with similar errors.

Is this working for anyone else on any target?

--joel

Can anyone do this