RFC: designated initializer vs. long long for i386 assembler
H. J. Lu
hjl@lucon.org
Wed Apr 4 00:42:00 GMT 2007
On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 07:14:00PM -0400, Michael Meissner wrote:
>
> How many new instruction types are you guys adding :-) Note, I don't mean
> number of new instructions, but instructions that need different operand
> modifiers.
I need a lot. All those bits, cpu_flags, opcode_modifier and
operand_types, should be extendable.
>
> Even if we posit adding operand_modifier2 as an array and use { ... }, we can
> still hide it in macros like I suggested.
>
It isn't as clean as bitfield. Since we have to change it, why not
do it right once for all?
> I just did a simple analysis, and there are only 87 distinct bit combintions
> for all of the current operands in the FSF sources. I could imagine changing
> operand_modifier into an enum, that indexes into a structure/array for each of
I assume you meant by
enum
{
x = 1;
x = 2;
x = 4;
....
};
It isn't much better than today. Bitfield should work nicely with
i386-opc.c generated from a table. I will implement it in a few
weeks.
H.J.
More information about the Binutils
mailing list