combining object files and managing relocatable symbols

Erik Leunissen e.leunissen@hccnet.nl
Thu Sep 21 09:46:00 GMT 2006

H. J. Lu wrote:

> You need to do it in 2 steps, -L and then -x. You can open a bug
> report at
>
> http://www.sourceware.org/bugzilla/
>
> to request that "-L foo -x" will remove foo in one step.

I have no problem with needing multiple, separate calls to objcopy if it
indeed removes the local symbol X from C.o.

My real problem is that the symbol X remains present as it was before
the call to objcopy -x (according to: nm C.o ).

Is this a flaw in objcopy -x, or are there some requirements for it to
work that I don't know of? In case relevant, here's the version of
objcopy that I use:

 > objcopy -V
GNU objcopy 2.14.90.0.5 20030722 (SuSE Linux)

Regards,

Erik Leunissen