Dynamic linking to specific .so versions

Lluís Batlle viriketo@gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 17:46:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've noticed that "ld" doesn't link the final ELF to the ".so"
library, but to the ".so.X", where X is a number. At least in my Linux
ELF system.

For instance, "readelf" may show that for a given ELF program:
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libX11.so.6]

I'd like to know what is the algorithm of choosing ".so.X", and not
".so.X.Y", or ".so". Is that hardcoded and unchangeable in ld? Is that
Linux-ELF specific? Can that be changed?

Maybe I'm not understanding someting.

Thanks again,
Lluís