[patch/rfc] new configure option for bfd for inserting vendor version info

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Mon Oct 23 02:08:00 GMT 2006

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 07:42:40PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> this simple patch adds a new flag to bfd's configure so people (like
> distributions or companies making their own releases) can easily insert a
> little bit of their own info into the --version output ... this is akin to
> gcc's VERSUFFIX in gcc/version.h, except the binutils is a bit more stream
> lined ...
>
> comments ?  good idea/bad idea/waste-of-time ?

Joseph noticed recently that the GNU Coding Standards actually have a
typical location for this, and it's not where you'd expect it to be -
actually it's in front of the version.  Handy partly because it doesn't
mess up autoconf checks for version numbers in the same way.

We've got patches for a bunch of tools... Someone ought to post those,
but you know how it is - never enough time.  I'll try to do it next
week if no one else here has a chance.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery