break statements

Turny Dávid Turny.David@stud.u-szeged.hu
Wed Oct 18 10:48:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I am beginner. I try to break a line, exactly a statement in my
assembly source file, but I cant :) I read that I have to use the "\"
character, but the arm-elf-as did not recognize that :( This is my
test code:

PCK = 0
PCK1= 1
PCK2=2
PCK3=3

.equ PMC,( 1<<PCK   )|\
          ( 1<<PCK1  )|\
          ( 1<<PCK2  )|\
          ( 1<<PCK3  )

.arm
.text
_start:
      mov r0,#PMC

I got this message:
header.s: Assembler messages:
header.s:6: Error: bad expression
header.s:7: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `('
header.s:8: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `('
header.s:9: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `('
ARM GAS  header.s                       page 1

How can I break those lines?
Thank you!