ld and holes in the address space

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Oct 3 08:20:00 GMT 2006

Hi Greg,

> Has anything like this been contemplated before?

Not in the GNU binutils, but it has other linkers.

> If I implement this,
> what are the chances that the maintainers will want this feature?

Medium.  It sounds like a nice feature, although I wonder how many
people would actually want it.  My main concern though would be the
probability that support for this feature would introduce new bugs into
the linker, especially in areas not connected with the feature.  A well
implemented patch with a good testsuite would go a long way to relieving
those concerns however...