[osol-discuss] Re: GNU ld -shared fails to link filtered symbols on Solaris

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Nov 28 10:24:00 GMT 2006

Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 10:04:42PM +0100, Martin Man wrote:
> > There seems to be a bug in GNU ld that does not link filter symbols
> > properly.
>
> I'd hardly call it a bug.  By the sound of things, Sun has made some
> extensions to ELF that GNU ld doesn't understand.  Someone (you
> perhaps) needs to teach GNU ld about the proper handling of these
> "filter symbols".  If no one at Sun or amongst the user base cares
> enough about GNU ld to do this, or to pay someone else to do the work,
> then GNU ld will be useless on your platform.  Moaning on the binutils
> lists won't help much..

Well, Sun did invent ELF, so an extension to ELF made by Sun seems to be an
official extension that should be supported by all tools.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)