--as-needed and GNU ld linker

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Mon Nov 27 22:43:00 GMT 2006

On Monday 27 November 2006 17:09, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 10:06:48AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Monday 20 November 2006 09:21, Francesco Montorsi wrote:
> > > However I wonder: why not make --as-needed the default behaviour of ld
> > > ?
> >
> > it'll break some properly written C++ applications
>
> Is there any examples of such applications?

the issue was brought to the attention of the Gentoo devs by Ciaran McCreesh
as it broke a project he works on ... he really gets his rocks off writing OO
code with C++ ;)

i'll post the link to his blog entry rather than just copying and pasting so i
dont have to screw with formatting:
http://ciaranm.org/show_post.pl?post_id=13
-mike