Failure building bfd.info

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Wed Nov 15 02:58:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 04:40:30PM -0800, Michael Eager wrote:
> This is the workaround:
> touch bfd/doc/archures.texi
> touch bfd/doc/bfd.info

Yeah that's what I suspected.

> >>3) When the make decides that it needs to build bfd.info, it
> >>   cd's to the SOURCE directory, creates a backup directory,
> >>   and moves bfd.info, etc., to the backup directory.  It then
> >>   runs makeinfo, which fails, and it attempts to restore
> >>   from the backup directory.  Which doesn't appear to
> >>   happen.  It then deletes the backup directory and exits
> >>   with an error code.
> >>
> >>   Why is this building bfd.info in the SOURCE directory?
> >>   This just seems to be the wrong thing to do.
> >
> >Automake.  There's roughly nothing we can do about this code, I'm
> >afraid.  I've tried several times.
>
> Bad automake. Bad! Bad!

If anyone wants to take another stab at this, even to the point of
either fixing automake or not using its rules, I would be _delighted_
to help; I just don't have time to do it myself, having been several
times defeated.  It's really inconvenient for me that binutils writes
so happily to its srcdir.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery