removing symbol from shared lib

Erik Leunissen e.leunissen@hccnet.nl
Tue Nov 14 21:15:00 GMT 2006

I've got two object files: a.o and b.o which are going to be linked into
a shared lib.

b.o defines a global symbol XXX which a.o needs. But symbol XXX is not
going to be needed outside the shared lib.

What I want to accomplish is to make symbol XXX in the shared lib
invisible from the outside, or even remove it completely, while not
affecting the functionality of the shared lib.

I've been able to convert XXX into a local symbol, using objcopy, but
that's as far as I got. I did not succeed in making it invisible or
completely removing it.

Is what I want possible at all?

If so, what incantation do I need?

Thanks for your help,