dead function elimination

jimmy jimmyb@huawei.com
Thu Nov 9 09:19:00 GMT 2006

Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Jimmy,
>
>> Can gcc or ld perform dead procedure elimination apart from using the
>> combination of --gc-sections/-ffunction-sections?
>
> (Why are you excluding the --gc-sections / -ffunction-sections pairing
> which were designed precisely for this purpose ?)
>
> The short answer is yes.  Gcc can and will eliminate unused local
> procedures, and with its --whole-program option it can even eliminate
> unused non-local procedures.
>
> But your question implies that you are asking if between them the linker
> and compiler can eliminate unused procedures without recompilation of
> all the sources, and in this case the answer is no.
>
> Cheers
>   Nick

I thght the linker alone was supposed to be able to do
dead-procedure-elimination. After all can't the linker determine which
procedures are unreferenced in the final executable?

If i'm not mistaken the diablo linker can do this?

Thanks!
-jb
--
mathematician, n.:
         Some one who believes imaginary things appear right before your