[RFH] About dlltool --output-exp --add-indirect.

Pedro Alves pedro_alves@portugalmail.pt
Wed Nov 1 00:38:00 GMT 2006

Danny Smith wrote:

>>Anyone has an idea how to generate the equivalent of
>>--add-indirect with
>>MSFT's link.exe?
>>Also, does anyone use this option nowadays?
>>
>>Oh, and --add-indirect docs on dlltool's manual has the
>>funniest comment
>>I could find on binutils.
>>
>><quoting>
>>--add-indirect
>>           Specifies that when dlltool is creating the
>>exports file it
>>should add a section which allows the exported  functions
>>           to be referenced without using the import library.
>> Whatever
>>the hell that means!
>></quoting>
>>

>.exp files built with --add-indirect can be used to create mutually
>dependent dll's
>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kkt2hd12.aspx
>
>I haven't done that in many years.  I usually just add an IMPORTS
>section to .def file to
>do the same thing.   I'll see if I can put together a test example.

Thanks.
I don't really get how --add-indirect helps here, but that is probably
because I didn't look deep enough.
An example would be nice to have. If nothing else, it could serve to
update our docs.
I wonder if we are really MSFT compatible like the comments say. The
missing underscore
is suspect, don't you think?

Cheers,
Pedro Alves