problems with ld/configure

Andrija Radicevic andrija.radicevic@zg.t-com.hr
Sun May 14 21:46:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

when building binutils-2.16  (for a new target) it fails on building ld,
saying that the target is not listed in config.sub file. Which is not the
case.
Examining the ld/configure script I have found that the section :

    # Canonicalize the secondary target names.
    result=`${CONFIG_SHELL-/bin/sh} $ac_config_sub $targ_alias 2>/dev/null`
    if test -n "$result"; then
        targ=$result
    else
        targ=$targ_alias
    fi

    . ${srcdir}/configure.tgt

fails to produce the correct target alias.

It turnd out that
${CONFIG_SHELL-/bin/sh} evaluates to /bin/sh
and
$ac_config_sub to /bin/sh ../../binutils-2.16/ld/../config.sub
which together obiously results with an awkward construct

I have a duplicated /bin/sh part, so the produced commandline would be:

/bin/sh /bin/sh ../../binutils-2.16/ld/../config.sub

I have found that the configure.in file contains exactly the same part of
the code, so I guess that the configure was generated correctly. So, either
${CONFIG_SHELL-/bin/sh} should evaluate to empty string or $ac_config_sub
should evaluate to ../../binutils-2.16/ld/../config.sub

What went wrong? Could someone help me please.

best regards

Andrija Radicevic