[PATCH] enabling gprof for cross builds

Mark Shinwell shinwell@codesourcery.com
Tue May 9 20:33:00 GMT 2006


Ben Elliston wrote:
>> Does that caveat mean that a configure test (involving the build
>> compiler's capability and the pointer size of the target) should be
>> used to determine whether to build gprof?  I hear that this might be
>> overkill.
> 
> You should certainly make sure that users aren't tripped up by any
> caveats (either at build time, or runtime, if you prefer).  Don't
> allow the cross-gprof to produce erroneous results.

After some more investigations today, I'm lead to believe that this is 
in fact a non-caveat.  Suppose we have the situation where binutils is 
built with a host compiler that does not possess a 64-bit integer type 
and the user then attempts to invoke gprof on a 64-bit executable.  In 
this scenario I believe that gprof is going to report an error anyway, 
since bfd will not have been built with 64-bit support and so will 
refuse to open the executable.

I therefore think that my original patch is in fact sufficient.

I've tried to test this hypothesis by adjusting the configure variables 
to simulate a host compiler lacking in a 64-bit data type, but I have so 
far failed to get this to work.  Perhaps someone here might be able to 
confirm the above behaviour of bfd from their prior knowledge...

Mark



More information about the Binutils mailing list