Static build of binutils 2.16.1

Pierre Wieser pierre.wieser@gadz.org
Mon Mar 27 13:54:00 GMT 2006

> Perhaps, a work-around could be to create a new variable LTLDFLAGS which
> would handle parameters dedicated to (and silently eaten by) libtool, and
> to add this variable to the definition of LINK. Setting this LTLDFLAGS to
> "-all-static" when LDFLAGS contains '-static' is a dirty libtool hack, but
> it should work..

Hi guys,
I've found an acceptable work-around for my problem.
The issue is that, at the difference of other GNU projects, the first configure
doesn't run subdirs's configure, but only generate the top level Makefile. In
binutils, this is the 'make' which will run configure in the subdirs.
So, I first run a simple 'make'. Then i ask for 'make clean' which deletes all
created objects, *but the generated Makefiles*, and last I rerun "make
LDFLAGS=-all-static" which is accepted this time as subdirectories's configure
are not rerun.

So :

../binutils-2.16.1/configure....
make