Problem with gcc4 (gcc 4.0.2-9) and binutils 2.16.1 on debian
Andrew Athan
aathan_binutils_1542@cloakmail.com
Fri Mar 10 06:46:00 GMT 2006
Just in case others are having this problem....
I have a C++ application that uses templates extensively. On a debian
system with "unstable" packages (binutils 2.16.1cvs20060117-1 and
gcc-4.0 4.0.2-9 packages) which match up g++ version 4.0.3 with binutils
2.16.1, and using -frepo, collect2 fails to properly instantiate all
templates.
I've solved the problem by installing an older version of binutils,
specifically the package from debian "stable" which is, 2.15-6.
However, in order to avoid warnings at the compilation phase (example
below), I kept as (the assembler) at version 2.16 by copying /usr/bin/as
and /usr/lib/libbfd-2.16.91.so aside before the backrev.
Warning: ignoring changed section attributes for
.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN23ACE_At_Thread_Exit_FuncD1Ev
Steps I took to make g++ with -frepo work with binutils under latest debian:
(1) Download the 2.15-6 binutils package from the debian site
(2) move /usr/bin/as and /usr/lib/libbfd-2.16.91.so aside
(3) dpkg -i binutils_2.15-6_i386.deb
(4) cd /usr/bin and make as into a link to the 2.16 version; also move
libbfd-2.16.91.so back into place
A.
More information about the Binutils
mailing list