Linking of C++ code takes a long time

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Jun 23 11:21:00 GMT 2006

Hi Christian,

> When it comes to the linking stage, linking takes
> about 1.30 minutes (2.4 GHz Athlon). Using a FC4-system with all the
> latest updates, linking takes about 10 seconds (1.8 GHz Athlon),

> The linking time is reproducible slow on
> a second FC5-system (1.8 GHz Intel dual-core CPU).

> First I thought that there could be a binutils issue and I tried a
> downgrade of binutils-2.16.91.0.6-5 (FC5) to binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2-2
> (FC4) but this did not solve the problem.

So you appear to be saying that the cause in the slowdown is the OS and
not the version of the linker ?  Did you try using the 2.16.91.0.6-5
version on FC4 ?  If so was it still < 10 seconds for the link ?

Have you tried using any system profiling tools to find out what is
going on ?  (vmstat, oprofile, etc)

Do have other background processes running on the FC5 machine that you
do not have running on the FC4 machine ?  Are you using NFS mounts ?

Anyway really if this is an OS issue, you ought to try asking on a
Fedora list.