RFH/RFC: symbol index overflow in MIPS linker stubs...

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Thu Jun 8 18:35:00 GMT 2006

Richard Sandiford wrote:
> David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com> writes:
>
>>There are three ways to do this:
>>
>>1) Always use a 20 byte stub.  This allows for up to 2^31 - 1 dynamic
>>symbols.  You are concerned that this would break IRIX tools.
>

> Well, "would"'s a bit a too strong.  It's only a vague "might".
> It's o32 I'm particularly worried about: the o32 IRIX tools
> are a bit weird.
>
> That wouldn't be much of an argument if it wasn't fairly easy
> to do #2 or #3, of course, but it does look fairly easy.

My main concern is that in _bfd_mips_elf_adjust_dynamic_symbol I need to
know the size of the stub, but I am uncertain if we will know the number
of dynamic symbols at this point so that we can choose the proper stub size.

David Daney