Multiple relocation in ELF

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Tue Jul 25 00:32:00 GMT 2006

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Michael Eager <eager@eagercon.com> writes:
>

>>Can you give an example of how this might be done?  I don't think that
>>it is possible to apply two relocations to a single location in ELF.
>

> You need to write the relocation semantics so that it will work.  It
> won't work in general.
>
> The 64-bit MIPS ABI is an example of a processor supplement which
> applies multiple relocations to a single address.  However, it does it
> in a different way, by changing the reloc format.

Just a couple of days ago on gcc@gcc.gnu.org, this very point came up.
It turns out that generating jump tables for case statements is one
place where this could be of use.  If the jump table is in a different
section than the code, you might need relocations to evaluate the
distance between two symbols.

David Daney.