build binutils - BFD target names

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 12:37:00 GMT 2006


Hi Muhammad,

> I'm working on a project that requires the use of some
> not-supported-by-default-on-cygwin target formats (e.g. aout). So I
> tried building binutils-2.15.97 with only the formats I need. Tried to
> configure it with:
>> configure --enable-targets=aout --enable-shared --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as
> 
> Also tried:
> --enable-targets=aout32
> --enable-targets=elf32
> --enable-targets=i386-aout32
> --enable-targets=i386-elf32
> --enable-targets=pe-i386
> --enable-targets=i386-pe
> 
> Each and every build fails at [configure-bfd] complaining about the target
> name being invalid - except with i386-aout32, where somewhere during the ld
> build it says i386-pc-aout32 is invalid =/
> 
> I tried looking in bfd/config.bfd for the target names (as the error
> advised), but I couldn't extract anything meaningful from there.
> 
> So,
> - What are the target names, or where do I find a listing?

What you want is an i386 targeted linker which can generated output in 
the AOUT binary file format.  So if you look through the config.bfd file 
for occurrences of "i386aout_vec" you will find those target names which 
will work.  For example I saw " i[3-7]86-*-msdos*" and so I built a 
toolchain with:

   configure --enable-targets=i386-msdos

and viola I had a linker which would produce the required binaries.

Cheers
   Nick








More information about the Binutils mailing list