How to config GAS to generate 'clean' objects?
Dasn
clainst@fastmail.cn
Sun Jan 22 14:12:00 GMT 2006
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 09:44:49AM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Clainst,
Hi, Nick.
Sorry, I forgot to tag my name last time.
> Not without modifying the sources of the assembler no. But of course
> you do have access to these sources so you can always do this.
Yes, you're right. If I had time, I'll do it. No wonder the strip -R
would save me some time :)
> >My next question is:
> >How to make GAS generate plain binary file like other assemblers such as
> >nasm or fasm.
>
> They do ? This seems odd to me. What use is a plain binary file ? You
> cannot link it with other files, it has lost too much information. I
> can understand your wanting the linker to generate a plain binary file
> rather than say an ELF or PE format executable, but I do not understand
> why you want the assembler to produce plain binary object files.
Yes, they do. AFAIK, nasm has an '-f bin' option and fasm has 'format
binary' directive, which could help their users generate binary files.
I often use this kind of feature of assemblers to produce executables
directly, not for _object_ files to be linked. IMHO, the problem of this
feature is how to generate plain binary for multi-section code. Nasm
simply concentrates its assembled sections, while fasm will report an
error of conflict between 'binary' and 'section' directives. Hmm..
considering this, gas has more flexibility.
More information about the Binutils
mailing list