.rodata section defined as Writeable as well as Text program header

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 16:44:00 GMT 2006

Hi Alex,

> Another  animality I see when compiling current (2005-12-27) glibc sources
> by gcc 4.1 on RHEL4/PowerPC machine: in libm.so.6 library,  .rodata is
> defined as Writeable, and so Text program header does.

>   [16] .rodata           PROGBITS        00040588 040588 037508 00  WA  0

> Any ideas why it happens?

Output sections inherit the attributes of the input sections that were
mapped onto them.  Therefore the most likely cause is that one or more
input sections with the writable flag (SHF_WRITE) set are being mapped
into the .rodata output section.  Find out which sections these are (eg
using the -Map linker switch) and then fix them.