ld fails to relocate relative to local symbols?

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Wed Feb 1 16:24:00 GMT 2006

On 01 February 2006 03:57, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 07:50:18PM -0800, Paul Lalonde wrote:
>> Can you point me to the document that documents that one?
>
> The ELF gABI (the g is for global); you can find a copy on SCO's web
> site, they still maintain the master copies of these standards.

  Umm, is that safe?  If I read their website and then implement an ELF library/abi-conformant widget/whatever, will they claim it's
now contaminated with their IP and I must license it from them?  Or have they made the spec public?

>> And yes, it is my own restricted ELF library - for assorted reasons we
>> can't use a GPL one, and the alternatives are few.
>
> FWIW:
>   http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~michael/software/libelf-0.8.5.tar.gz
>
> That's LGPL, not GPL.

  Actually it's neither GPL nor LGPL.  It's 404!  (If you strip the trailing filename from the url you get a redirect page to
http://www.mr511.de/software/).

    cheers,
      DaveK