Updating top-level autoconf to 2.59

Steve Ellcey sje@cup.hp.com
Wed Dec 20 22:57:00 GMT 2006

> Just --build or --build= --host=.  I'm pretty sure that works for
> autoconf 2.13 too.
>
> But if you think we ought to keep it the way it is, I can probably come
> up with a workaround.
>
> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz
> CodeSourcery

So I changed my build to only specify '--build=' and things seemed to
work fine.  But I did notice one odd thing.  When I looked at the output
of the configure on my IA64 Linux Debian system a little more closely
there were some error messages on the binutils side of the configure.
I didn't see any problems on the GCC side.

With binutils, I do get a configure and a build that work but I also
see the following messages:

checking for ar... no
checking for ar... /proj/opensrc/nightly/src/src/configure: line 7135: test -f:
command not found
/proj/opensrc/nightly/src/src/configure: line 7135: test -f: command not found
/proj/opensrc/nightly/src/src/configure: line 7135: test -f: command not found
/proj/opensrc/nightly/src/src/configure: line 7135: test -f: command not found

(ditto for as, dlltool, ld, lipo, nm, objdump, ranlib, strip, and windres)
Looking at my configure file:

 7130 for as_dir in $PATH
 7131 do
 7132   IFS=$as_save_IFS
 7133   test -z "$as_dir" && as_dir=.
 7134   for ac_exec_ext in '' $ac_executable_extensions; do
 7135   if $as_executable_p "$as_dir/$ac_word$ac_exec_ext"; then
 7136     ac_cv_prog_AR_FOR_TARGET="${ncn_progname}"
 7137     echo "$as_me:$LINENO: found $as_dir/$ac_word$ac_exec_ext" >&5
 7138     break 2
 7139   fi
 7140 done

So I guess the issue is $as_executable_p
My configure has:

	as_executable_p="test -f"

and this is used in many places, so I am not sure why I am getting this
error in just these few places.  I do not get it on my HP-UX systems.
I am inclined to think this is just a problem with my Linux system.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com