PATCH: Move operand/address-size override prefixes before SIMD prefix

malc av1474@comtv.ru
Thu Dec 7 16:09:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Menezes, Evandro wrote:

>> I can. This will proove exactly nothing though. I want an official
>> position of Intel and AMD, even if the position is that the behaviour
>> is unspecified that will suit me just fine.
>
> Here's the official position by AMD:
>
> 	"The result of using an F2h or F3h repeat prefix along with a
> 	66h prefix in 128-bit or 64-bit media instructions is
> 	unpredictable." (in "AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual
> 	Volume 3: General-Purpose and System Instructions", pp. 5-6.)
>
> HTH

Thank you, but it does not. Because presence of both 0xf2 and 0xf3 in
the byte stream is not covered by this paragraph (perhaps the
situation is explained elsewhere in the manual?)

<transcript>
pref$ cat pref.s
.text
         .byte 0xf2, 0xf3, 0x0f, 0x11, 0x00
         .byte 0xf3, 0xf2, 0x0f, 0x11, 0x00
pref$ as pref.s -o pref.o
pref$ objdump -d pref.o

pref.o:     file format elf32-i386

Disassembly of section .text:

00000000 <.text>:
    0:   f2                      repnz
    1:   f3 0f 11 00             movss  %xmm0,(%eax)
    5:   f3                      repz
    6:   f2 0f 11 00             movsd  %xmm0,(%eax)
</transcript>

At least in this case the objdump and IDA agree on the disassembly.

Perhaps someone from Intels side care to chip in?

--
vale