maintainer update: add support for more AVR microcontrollers

Joerg Wunsch j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Fri Apr 21 06:55:00 GMT 2006

As Eric Christopher wrote:

> >Documentation for the entire toolchain is mainly maintained as part
> >of the avr-libc project:

> >http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/index.html

> This is bad. You should consider documenting the binutils options in
> the binutils manual.

Well, seriously, most of our users probably don't know what binutils
actually means.  For them, it's all "the compiler", and they are
already wondering why "the compiler" doesn't come along bundled with
an editor, as all of our "competitors" (i. e. other embedded compiler
vendors) do.

Thus, maintaining a consistent documentation for the entire toolchain
has a much higher priority to me than anything else, as that way, I
can at least point people to a single location where they can get all
the information needed.  Fortunately, we made a lot of progress here
compared to say 5 years ago, when the AVR support in the GNU toolchain
started its life, and many documentation files really only ended up in
.c.

If the original authors had bothered to at least write something like
a gas/doc/c-avr.texi file at all, well, I had no trouble to add each
new device name there as we are adding it.  However, there would be
much more things to document like added assembler operators where I'm
unfortunately don't even know for sure myself what they are doing
exactly. :-(  I'll see to find the people who once started that
project, and try whether we could come up with that doc file
eventually.

For the time being, please accept the patch as it is.