.code16gcc, i386, and loop/jcc/jmp data-size overrides

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 10 06:49:00 GMT 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 04:39:17PM -0700, No Name wrote:
> Would it be ok for gas to generate extra size prefixes when compiling with
> code16gcc?

One of the beauties of free software is that you are free to make such
changes for yourself.  I don't think this is a generally useful change
though:  .code16gcc is a hack to make use of gcc code in real mode where
you usually only have 64k of code space.  I know it's possible to set up
16-bit segments with a larger limit, but this isn't normal.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre